Murder on Tyneside

Read Freely has dedicated a page to Murder on Tyneside.

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Sombre Thoughts

Late this afternoon I went to sit in our garden.  In the distance I could hear the rumbling of traffic. People were travelling  home from their place of work. I was immediately transported back to 1964 when my husband and I moved to London and rented a one bedroomed flat in Ladysmith Road.  Ladysmith Road is located off Dowsett Road, just off Tottenham High Street.

My husband worked for the BBC at this time, so he had to work shifts. On the nights he worked late, I would often stand on the balcony outside the flat and listen to the traffic, as it passed Bruce Grove. looking back, it seems like a lifetime ago.  Nevertheless, even today, hearing traffic in the distance still brings back so many memories. Sitting out in the garden today I recalled coming home to Ladysmith Road from work and seeing my next door neighbour waiting for me.  She had a telegram in her hand.  Back then phones weren't commonplace, so telegrams were used to take news quickly to relatives or friends.  That day it was really bad news.  My father had been taken to hospital with a brain haemorrhage.  Though I didn't realise it at the time, my lovely dad was never ever going to be the same again.  In fact some months later he died. He was fifty-two.

Okay, that was a long time ago and I have got over it.  But I will never forget my father.  He was one of the most lovely patient men I have ever met in my whole life.  I simply wanted to share that with you.

I must add here that my mother was a great Mum.  Up until her death, she was proud of her daughters and her granddaughter.  She had also been devoted to my father.  After his death, she never remarried.  I don't think there could ever have been anyone else for her.

This is a sad thing to talk about here, but it all came flooding back with the sound of the traffic...

I hope you have fond memories to cherish.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment